More #Papermaking Madness!

I’ve perfected my paper thickness consistency and determined that a silkscreen frame is perfect for papermaking.

1. Crushed leaves.  2. Pressed flower petals.  3. Crushed stems and pressed petals.  4. Dried lavender.  5. Plain paper.  6. Blue paper pulp then green poured on top and mixed for marbling effect.

IMG_20150911_152617_kindlephoto-323092135 IMG_20150911_152626_kindlephoto-322999403 IMG_20150911_152638_kindlephoto-322936754 IMG_20150911_152657_kindlephoto-322882369 IMG_20150911_153319_kindlephoto-322753640 IMG_20150911_153328_kindlephoto-322687318

I was able to use the same batch of water but got these vibrant color changes just by adjusting how much colored cardstock scraps  added. Small seeds or dried items are best mixed in with the paper pulp. For thicker paper,  pressed flowers were added on top.

Advertisements

My Handmade Papermaking Adventure #PaperCrafts

A few years ago when I got my paper die cut machine I realized early on that I had a lot of paper waste from the cut outs. I also had not used the best quality paper for paper die cutting. I wondered if the scraps would make good handmade paper. I stashed it all in a drawer and then in two boxes. I soon started watching videos on handmade paper making and came across “Paper Alice”. Watching this paper artist’s easy going manner took all of the fear out of my wanting to do this.

Next it was off to Goodwill for a used blender! Fast forward two years ….

A happenstance meeting, while attending a local library “Art in the Garden” with a local watercolor artist, set me off on my papermaking journey. My age in papermaking is a few days.

IMG_20150831_172450IMG_20150831_221923IMG_20150903_004237

While finally organizing my scraps by size then color. Yes, I said “organizing my scraps”. Who does that? Well I did. I separated my scraps by those for word books, card making, and handmade papermaking. Next, I found a frame which I thought might make a good “deckle”. (They are usually two identical wooden frames with screening in between.) Since my frame did have a recessed perimeter all around on both sides I decided to make an aperture in a rectangular shape for the recessed area. Instead of screening I found non-sew interfacing cut to size works great.

IMG_20150828_035351             Dried flowers                                       IMG_20150828_004641

Mistakes:

  1. The used blender started leaking. The rubber gasket was too old and cracked. I used mine & bought a new one for home use.
  2. All of that hand tearing of paper scraps tired out my fingers. I took all the scraps to the shredder. Ahh. That was much better!
  3. I started out with a plastic canvas backing for support. Since it was taped on, after several dunkings it fell off.

I found in the end that since I could not find “stretcher bars”, a silkscreening frame worked great!

IMG_20150905_171516_kindlephoto-115826181IMG_20150830_140441

Finished handmade paper on silkscreen.                                 A finished envelope.

Framed canvases work great too. I had to use a butter knife to pull out the staples.

.IMG_20150904_002233

Follow me on Twitter