A few years ago when I got my paper die cut machine I realized early on that I had a lot of paper waste from the cut outs. I also had not used the best quality paper for paper die cutting. I wondered if the scraps would make good handmade paper. I stashed it all in a drawer and then in two boxes. I soon started watching videos on handmade paper making and came across “Paper Alice”. Watching this paper artist’s easy going manner took all of the fear out of my wanting to do this.
Next it was off to Goodwill for a used blender! Fast forward two years ….
A happenstance meeting, while attending a local library “Art in the Garden” with a local watercolor artist, set me off on my papermaking journey. My age in papermaking is a few days.
While finally organizing my scraps by size then color. Yes, I said “organizing my scraps”. Who does that? Well I did. I separated my scraps by those for word books, card making, and handmade papermaking. Next, I found a frame which I thought might make a good “deckle”. (They are usually two identical wooden frames with screening in between.) Since my frame did have a recessed perimeter all around on both sides I decided to make an aperture in a rectangular shape for the recessed area. Instead of screening I found non-sew interfacing cut to size works great.
- The used blender started leaking. The rubber gasket was too old and cracked. I used mine & bought a new one for home use.
- All of that hand tearing of paper scraps tired out my fingers. I took all the scraps to the shredder. Ahh. That was much better!
- I started out with a plastic canvas backing for support. Since it was taped on, after several dunkings it fell off.
I found in the end that since I could not find “stretcher bars”, a silkscreening frame worked great!
Finished handmade paper on silkscreen. A finished envelope.
Framed canvases work great too. I had to use a butter knife to pull out the staples.